Frequently Asked Questions
1) What are Gifts of Light?
As Canada’s largest mental health hospital, it may surprise you to learn that the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) does not have a gift shop. There simply isn’t the need for one. Because of the stigma surrounding mental illness, many patients at CAMH receive few if any gifts or visitors.
Money raised from Gifts of Light goes towards providing tangible gifts for patients in our care over the holidays. This year, our goal is to provide 1,700 gift bags to our patients through the month of December.
Proceeds raise in excess of what is needed for actual patient gifts are used to help fund patient programming and activities, along with treatment and research at CAMH.
2) Why should I buy a Gift of Light?
Gifts of Light touch our patients on a personal level, letting them know that they are not alone on their journey to recovery. For some of our patients, it may in fact be the only gift they receive this holiday.
Additionally, when you give a Gift of Light, you can send an eCard or card on to a friend or family member, letting them know that a meaningful gift has been purchased on their behalf for a patient at CAMH.
3) Are Gifts of Light real gifts?
Yes! Money raised from Gifts of Light goes towards providing tangible gifts for patients in our care over the holidays. This year, our goal is to provide 1,700 gift bags to our patients through the month of December. For many of our patients, this may be the only gift they receive this year.
Funds raised in excess of the Gifts of Light campaign goal will go towards ensuring that CAMH can continue offering the best mental health and addiction treatment to our patients.
Since 2008—thanks to our supporters—Gifts of Light has provided over 3,200 tangible gift bags to CAMH patients and has raised over $675,000 in funds and gifts-in-kind for the hospital.
4) How do I notify someone I have bought them a Gifts of Light?
For online purchases, after you have selected your gift(s) and completed payment, you will be prompted to send eCards in two ways:
- A prompt on the confirmation page that appears after your payment goes through; or
- A confirmation email sent to you after you complete your purchase will include a link to send eCards.
In both cases, simply click on the link, follow the on-screen prompts, and send your personalized eCards to let your friends and loved ones know that you purchased Gifts of Light on their behalf.
For purchases made by phone or mail, you have the option of ordering printed cards to give out. The card explains to the recipient that a Gift of Light has been given to a patient at CAMH on their behalf. Note: All print cards must be ordered by December 7 in order to guarantee receipt before Christmas.
You can also request to receive printed cards to give to your family, friends and loved ones. If you'd like to receive printed cards, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Why is giving my email mandatory?
We require your email address for your online transactions so that we can confirm your transaction and email you your tax receipt.
6) Can I send my eCard now to arrive at a later date?
Yes. As part of the eCard options, you can select a future date for your eCard to be sent to recipient. You also have the option to receive notification that the eCard was sent.
7) I have purchased multiple gifts. Can I notify a different person for each gift?
Yes. You actually have two options:
- You can choose to send the same eCard, with one personalized message, to multiple recipients at the same time. Simply click on the ‘Add another recipient’ on the ‘Personalize your eCard’ page; or
- Once you have completed and sent one eCard, you will be given the option to send another eCard. Use this option if you wish to send different eCards, including different personalized messages, to different recipients.
8) I have finished my purchase, but I don’t have time to send my eCards. Can I do it later?
Yes. You can return to your confirmation email and follow the link to send eCards and personalize and send your eCards when convenient.
9) I have bought more than 10 gifts, but it won’t let me send more than 10 eCards. What do I do?
Return to your confirmation email and click on the send an eCard link anew. You will be allowed to send another batch of your eCards. We apologize for the inconvenience.
10) My eCard did not send, what do I do now?
If you have sent an eCard and it has not been received by the recipient, please contact us via email at email@example.com or call 416.979.6909.
11) Can I still purchase a Gift of Light after the holiday season?
Yes. Gifts of Light are available year round at www.camhgiftsoflight.ca.
12) Can I make a Tribute gift to Gifts of Light?
If you wish to make an In Honour or In Memory donation to Gifts of Light please contact the Foundation at 1.800.414.0471.
Otherwise, you can let people know that Gifts of Light were purchased on their behalf by sending them an eCard or card after you purchase your Gifts of Light.
13) Do Gifts of Light qualify for a charitable tax receipt?
Yes! When you purchase Gifts of Light online, a confirmation email will be sent to you immediately after purchase – this is not your official tax receipt. Your tax receipt will be emailed to you on or by the next business day.
For Gifts of Light purchases made by phone or by mail, your tax receipt will be sent to you by mail, along with any cards you may have ordered.
14) Is my online donation secure?
Yes. www.camhgiftsoflight.ca is hosted on a secure website.
15) Can I purchase Gifts of Light by mail or phone? How?
To purchase Gifts of Light, please call the Foundation at 416.979.6909 or 1.800.414.0471
To make your donation through the mail, please print and return the Gifts of Light order form to:
100 Stokes Street, 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M6J 1H4